Almost too calm productive irritant, neurodivergent researcher, bricoleur and flâneur
- Research partner, University of Glasgow,
on the project: A
society fit for autistics: overcoming the barriers,
challenging stereotypes and enabling autistics to take their
place in the world (August 2017 to January 2020). This
autistic-led two-year research project investigated the
strategies used by autistic people to understand social
situations and other people’s reactions, and to empower
themselves; and the barriers to using their strengths and
appropriate strategies to participate in decision making, the
economy and communities.
- Copywriter, hi-tech startup, London, UK (2018).
- Chief analyst, Inpro Licensing, London, UK
(October 2010 to July 2012). Conducted technical and commercial
- Freelance journalist, London, UK (2005 to 2010).
Wrote for The Guardian (2005),
The Register (2007-2009), Red Pepper (2009), the
Campaign Against Criminalising Communities (2009), the
Coalition Against Secret Evidence (2009), and Black
Mental Health (2010).
- Editor – Developer Program, UIQ
Technology, London, UK & Ronneby, Sweden (May 2006 to
July 2008). Managed the developer community portal and forums, the
commissioning budget, and editorial projects at mobile phone user
interface software company UIQ Technology. Wrote for the developer
portal and partners' newsletters. Led discussion sessions on
mobile user interfaces and user experience at the Mobile World
Congress and Over the Air events.
- Technology editor, marketing strategy manager and
developer outreach manager, Symbian Software, London, UK
(January 2000 to April 2006). At the mobile phone operating system
company Symbian Software, created a media plan, an editorial
process, a developer strategy, a scheme for Symbian's engineers to
publish open source applications and an award scheme.
Commissioned, edited and wrote a monthly newsletter, brochures,
white papers and articles. Co-chaired the Security Alert team.
Managed relationships with community websites. Open sourced the
OPL interpreted language. Organised twenty-two internal
- Editor, EXE Magazine, Centaur, London, UK
(June 1994 to December 1999). Editorial and production
responsibilities for the monthly software developers' EXE Magazine and its
- Freelance journalist, London, UK (July 1993 to June
1994). Wrote for The Guardian, The Daily
Telegraph, PC Direct, What Personal
Computer, 01 Informatique, Le Journal du
Téléphone, Byte European Reseller, and
- Senior editor,
PC Expert, Ziff-Davis, Paris, France (December 1991 to
January 1993). Responsible for the section on new technologies,
operating systems and telecommunications.
- Software engineer, P.N.B., Paris, France
(June 1990 to December 1991). Developed a fax software in C and
assembler at modem manufacturer P.N.B. Project leader of the
Service d'Acces Micro contract with France Telecom.
- Research & development engineer and project
leader, Microformatic, Paris, France and Moodus,
Connecticut, USA (August 1989 to March 1990). Wrote communications
software on OS/2 at software house Microformatic. In charge of the
adaptation of the product to the American market.
- Visiting lecturer in telecommunications,
IBM, Paris, France (1989 to 1990).
- Technical director, Euratec, Paris, France
(September 1986 to February 1987). Participated in a study to
transfer the development operation of an Ada compiler from Iceland
to Paris. Negotiated support for the Ada compiler with DEC, Data
General, Bull, Atari and Apple.
- Software developer, Téléinformatique,
Paris, France (April 1985). Developed a terminal emulator resident
in a PAD X.25, in 6809 assembler, for the Crédit Agricole
- Computer course examiner, Institut de Gestion
Sociale, Paris, France (1985).
- Software developer, Caisses Centrales de
Mutualité Sociale Agricole, Paris, France (August 1984 to
- Visiting lecturer in computer science,
Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Paris, France
(1984 to 1986).
- Computer instructor, City of Paris InterClub 17,
Paris, France (1984 to 1985).
- Freelance journalist, Paris, France (1982 to 1991).
Wrote for PC-News, Info-PC and Décision
Micro (1989 to 1991), Soft & Micro (1987 to
1989), and Génie Logiciel, Que Choisir,
Goupil Revue and Microtel-Infos (1982 to
- Advisor to Challenging the
Criminalisation of Autistic People, a support and
campaign group set up to hold the government and other public bodies
accountable for injustices and abuses against autistics
(July 2017 to present).
- Team member (April 2018
to present) and director (February 2015 to April 2018), AutAngel, a
Community interest company run by and for autistics to
strengthen autistic community. Maintains the AutEvents
calendar of autism-related events and the organisation’s
- Member of the Hackney Safer Neighbourhood Board
(January 2015 to present).
- Restarter (December 2012 to present) and London
volunteer coordinator (January 2014 to May 2017), The Restart
Project, a social enterprise that aims to change our
relationship with technology and empower people to use their
electronics longer. Organised fifteen skill share events for
restarters, participated in many Restart Parties and appeared on
- Vice-chair of the Hackney & Tower Hamlets
Independent Custody Visitor (ICV)
panel (from April 2015 to present), chair (June 2014 to
April 2015) and vice-chair (March 2013 to June 2014) of the Hackney
ICV panel, and visitor (August 2010 to present). ICVs conduct
unannounced visits to police custody suites to check on the
welfare of detainees.
- Member of the Nottinghamshire
Autism Police Partnership, which aims to influence practice
and policy to help detention officers better support autistic individuals
in police custody (October 2018 to January 2020).
- Participant in the Sheffield
Autism Dialogues (May 2018 to December 2018).
- Chair of publications, Autscape, a conference
by and for autistic people. Proofread and edited some Autscape
material (November 2015 to August 2018).
- Member, London Borough of Hackney
Autism Alliance Board and of its Expert by Experience, Data,
and Criminal Justice work groups (July 2016 to February 2019). Award for
outstanding contributions to co-production with Adult Social Care
Services in the London Borough of Hackney (July 2018).
- Advisory board NO2ID, a campaigning
organisation focussed on the threat to liberty and privacy posed
by the growth of the database state (April 2012 to June 2017).
- Advisory board, Privacy
International, a charity organisation fighting for the
right to privacy across the world (October 2011 to October 2015).
- Member of Islington Borough’s stop and search
monitoring group (2010 to 2011).
- Legal observer (2010).
- Member of Amnesty International (2006 to
- Member of Liberty (2005 to 2011).
- Founding member of the Open Rights Group
(2005 to 2006).
- Participated in the creation of Mobile Monday
- Associate member of the Free Software
Foundation (2003 to 2015).
- Co-founder and co-sysop of the OS/2 MANiA
association (1990 to 1992).
- Member of the Association for Computing
Machinery (1987 to 2009)
- Member of the Association Francaise pour la
Cybernétique Economique et Technique (1987 to 1989).
- Participated at local, regional and national level
in the Microtel and Adémir associations (1980 to
- Hersh, M. et al, 2020. ’Accessing services and
social interaction: strategies used by autistic people' in
Milton, D. et al (ed.)
The Neurodiversity Reader, Pavilion
- Mery, P., 2020. ’Manipulation of Words' in
Hegland, F. (ed.)
The Future Of Text, Future Text Publishing.
- Mery, P. 2015. ‘Calm, almost too calm'
Terminology' in Hearst, C. (ed.) Being Autistic – Nine adults share their journeys from
discovery to acceptance, AutAngel.
- Piccoli, G.B. and Mery, D., 2017.
earth, our common home: toward a sustainable, planet friendly
approach to dialysis, a paradigm of high technology
medicine. Journal of Renal Nutrition,
27(6), pp. 478-484.
- Mery, D.P., 2016.
data cleaning disproportionately affect autistics?
Autism: the international journal of research and
- Mery, D., 2003.
do mobile phones need a different operating system?
Computing and Control Engineering, 14(6),
- Guest lecture on repair culture and the maintenance of electronics devices to BA
Product Design students at Central Saint Martins, UK
- Presented at the The Politics of
Autism conference on Participatory and Autistic-led
initiatives in the UK, France (2019).
- Presented to a public meeting organised by
ESTAS, a Korean autistic organisation, on several autistic
initiatives in the UK, and spoke at its internal meeting, South
- Presented at the PARC Autistic
Fringe (Glasgow) on About
spoons and spudgers: community repair for neurodivergents,
- Facilitated a session at Fixfest
UK 2018 on (Better) repair events for neurodivergents &
anyone lacking spoons, UK (2018).
- Facilitated a session at Fixfest 2017 on
Fixing events for and with neurodivergents and people with
mental health issues, UK (2017).
- Presented on the work of Independent Custody
Visitors to the Hackney Safer Neighbourhood Board, UK (2016).
- Spoke at the V&A Friday Late on Why and
how to become a restarter with the Restart Project, UK
- Spoke at the OpenTech session on Why and how
to become a restarter with the Restart Project, UK
- Keynote speaker at the public debate
Surveillance, Politics and Civil Society, UK (2010).
- Spoke at a workshop on Fighting the law and
winning for the ten years of Indymedia, UK (2010).
- Guest speaker at a public meeting of the Pan
African Society Community Forum on civil liberties, UK
- Television and video:
Deutsche Welle, Focus on Europe, Germany (2015),
WOWOW, Finding 1984, Japan (2014);
National Autistic Society, Ask Autism, UK (2014);
ORF, Welt Journal, Austria (2012);
Sky News, Sunrise, UK (2009);
Mega TV, The Files, Greece (2007);
BBC One, Politics Show, UK (2006);
Sky News, Today, UK (2005).
BBC World Service, Discovery, UK (2015);
Dissident Island Radio, UK (2010);
Radio Adelaide, Breakfast with Peter Godfrey, Australia (2005);
ABC Radio National, Late Night Live, Australia (2005);
BBC Radio Four, Broadcasting House, UK (2005);
BBC Radio Five Live, The Way Forward, UK (2005);
RampART Radio, Indymedia, UK (2005).
- Print and web:
The Establishment, USA (2018),
The Independent and i, UK (2015)
The Voice, UK (2014),
AFP, UK (2013);
Cageprisoners, UK (2011);
Colors Magazine, ‘Cease-Fear’, Italy (2009);
I fought the law, ‘Britain's Ten Worst Laws’ chapter, Bantam Press, UK (2007);
The Dallas Morning News, USA (2005).
- Support Brokerage, London Brokerage
Network, London, UK (December 2014 to May 2015, awarded
- Spoon carving, Barn the Spoon, London, UK
- Auditing MA in Criminology and Criminal Justice,
City University, London, UK (September 2013 to April
- Independent Custody Visitors, Metropolitan
Police Authority, London, UK (2010).
- Legal observing, Network for Police
Monitoring, London, UK (2010).
- International human rights law,
CCJO.RenéCassin, London, UK (2009).
- Human rights law, continuing education course,
City University, London, UK (2007).
- Taught MPhil (AEA) in languages, algorithmic and
programming; majors: object-oriented programming and Lisp dialects
semantic, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI),
Paris, France (1987 to 1988).
- MSc (Maîtrise) in computer science; majors:
operating systems, telecommunications and software engineering,
Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), Paris,
France (1986 to 1987).
- BSc (License) in computer science, Université
Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), Paris, France, (1985 to
- Undergraduate degree (DEUG) in mathematics, physics
and computer science, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris
VI), Paris, France (1982 to 1985).
- Baccalaureate (Baccalauréat S1) specialised in
mathematics, Ecole Alsacienne, Paris, France (1977 to